It’s been a long road, but you and your neighbors are finally about to see a community project get off the ground – a brand-new playground. The blueprints are set. It’ll be fully outfitted with slides, sandpits, swings, and jungle gyms. The basics are clear, but the finer details are still up in the air. It’d be cool to add some pops of color to the playground equipment before it’s installed.
Before you make plans to break out buckets of messy paint, consider an alternative – powder coating. For several years, homeowners and business owners have chosen metal powder coating as their preferred option for decorative finishes because of its more polished finish, environmentally friendly, and cost-efficient.
Interested in learning more about powder coating or scheduling an appointment? BoroTek Powder Coating is a local powder coating company proudly serving business and residential clients in Memphis, Chattanooga, and Knoxville. Give us a call at 615-624-2711 or tell us a little more about your project through our website.
What Is Powder Coating?
Powder coating is a dry powder applied to a charged surface electrostatically and then it is cured under heat. It adds a protective layer and decorative finish to various types of surfaces, primarily metal, but also other materials like plastics and ceramics. There are two types of powder coating – thermoplastic and thermoset. While each has its own characteristics, the end results are virtually identical.
Powder coating has proven to be a better and longer-lasting choice for businesses and homeowners alike.
Thermoplastic is a coating that melts and flows when heated, but it maintains the same chemical composition after it solidifies. It does not require a curing cycle. Because it does not undergo curing, it can soften and remelt when subjected to high temperatures. Thermoset powder coatings go through an irreversible chemical change during curing to create a long-lasting, hardened coating. Because the changes after curing are permanent, this type of coating will not remelt under intense temperatures.
What Is Powder Coating Used For?
Wondering what you can have powder coated? These are some of the items we’ve powder coated over the years.
- Outdoor furniture
- Household appliances
- Rims and vehicle parts
- Farm equipment
- Artwork and displays
- Metal-based toys
- Rugged terrain vehicles
- Dirt bikes
That said, don’t look at this as a definitive list. When it comes to powder coating, the possibilities are endless!
What Are the Benefits of Powder Coating?
Why should you choose powder coating? Paint is a stalwart in aesthetic improvement, so it’s obviously the superior option, right? Not so fast.
Powder coating has proven to be a better and longer-lasting choice for businesses and homeowners alike. Here’s why:
- It’s very durable. Items that have been powder coated are more resistant to chipping, scratching, fading, and general wear and tear than liquid paint. This makes it an ideal finish for objects that are exposed to harsh environments, like outdoor furniture, automotive parts, and industrial machinery.
- It’s resistant to corrosion. Powder coatings provide an effective barrier against moisture, chemicals, salt, and other corrosive substances. If you’re interested in refreshing metal fences and gates along your property, powder coating is the way to go.
- It’s easy on the eyes. Powder coatings come in a wide variety of colors, textures, and finishes, which frees you up to be as creative as you want to be. The durable nature of powder coating allows color vibrancy to maintain over time.
- It’s environmentally friendly. One of the biggest benefits of powder coating is that it emits very little volatile organic compounds (VOCs) during application. This is a great solution for business owners that aim to be mindful of environmental regulations.
- It’s easy to apply. There’s no need for multiple coats of powder coating. As long as the surface has been cleaned and prepped before the process begins, the application of powder coating is relatively fast with curing times that are often shorter than traditional paint drying times.
What Surfaces Can Be Powder Coated?
- Steel alloys
- Stainless steel
- Galvanized steel
- Mild steel
- Electroplated steel
If you’re curious about whether or not we can work with your item, feel free to reach out to BoroTek Powder Coating at 615-624-2711 or contact us through our website. A member of our customer service team will be happy to help you out.
The Experts at BoroTek Are Ready To Help
Make sure your product looks great and lasts long by choosing the team at BoroTek Powder Coating. You can trust our team of dedicated experts to handle your most important and special projects. Give us a call at 615-624-2711 or request a quote online today. We can’t wait to get started.